The contenders to the title of best ever film are a topic of endless debate. It is also a cheap way to get publicity for your magazine title when you publish your list.
Far from discouraging the cheap publicity Netcoms dot com is happy to add to the debate, with the news that Total Film had added its two admission tickets to the debate. While controversy over choices, helps the publicity, Total Film have made some particularly strange choices.
The top 25 is below:
- Fight Club
- The Godfather: Part II
- Citizen Kane
- Tokyo Story
- The Empire Strikes Back
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- His Girl Friday
- Taxi Driver
- It's a Wonderful Life
- The Apartment
- Once Upon A Time In The West
- All About Eve
- The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
- Apocalypse Now
- The Godfather
- Rear Window
- Sunset Boulevard
- How is filler The Empire Strikes Back the top Star Wars film rather than the ground-breaking original?
- And on that note, how can the me-too Goodfellas top its inspiration, The Godfather?
- Why is the Lord of the Rings in as a trilogy wheras The Godfather is not?
- And how did Crash and Fight Club even make the list?
In truth, if the top 5 contained all the usual suspects (in fact, where is The Usual Suspects in this list?), such as Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Casablanca, it would be less newsworthy and wouldn't be the subject of posts like this extending its reach online.
Ever feel like you've been had?