Coldplay have achieved the kind of success that breeds envy. With the launch of their new album, the amount of sour grapes in the UK media has hardly been surprising (international readers, how was it for you? Let me know in the comments section).
A fitting album title may have been 'Damned if you do, Damned if you don't' rather than the obscure chromosone reference of 'X&Y'. No wonder it took them nigh on two years to release the thing.
Perhaps the boys need a little praise to stem the flow of bad press.
As a subscriber to their 'In my Place' newsletter, I have been impressed of late with their understanding of how to operate in the digital age. Their website has been the epitome of talking directly with their fans and contains valuable lessons for those seeking to market on the internet:
- Early bird concert ticket deals for subscribers, so the fans get there before the e-bay touts
- Exclusive audio of the new single 'Speed of Sound'
- Exclusive video of 'Speed of Sound'
- Teasers for the album tracks
- Backstage concert footage
- 'What the band are listening to' featured on the 'Coldplayer'
Remember people like to buy, they don't like to be sold.